Cape Verde

Cape Verde

Monday, February 7, 2011

Renaming and rethinking

The title of a blog is deceivingly difficult to come up with. You want to decide on something that explains what you're all about and give a concise explanation of why this forum of opinions exists to begin with. At the same time, you don't want to take yourself too seriously, it's just a blog. So up until now, this has just been "Rachel in Africa." Straightforward.

But most of what I write about here is a reflection of what this process is to me. So, after a few months of settling in and recognizing what these two years are truly going to mean to me, and realizing that they won't be what I expected, I decided that my collection of thoughts needed a change. And so, with a quotation in mind from author Mark Jenkins, I've realized that all of these moments can be summed up in the way that my art-inflicted mind has always seen them: as little splashes of color.


“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment