Cape Verde

Cape Verde

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Just your typical Saturday

Where to begin.

This morning I woke up bright and early to go outside and enjoy the free wifi that comes in at my friend's house since he lives so close to the Camara. He left brighter and earlier to go to a wedding at the opposite end of the island, and I was getting ready to enjoy a full day of internet, Skype dates, food and rest on my own. Unfortunately, within five minutes of coming outside at 10am (3 hours ago) the wind blew the door shut, and I've been stuck in this tiny ass space since then. However, the internet just kicked in (finally) so I can at least amuse myself for a while.

I put on The Life Aquatic to stave off the claustrophobia. Halfway through, my friend called to tell me that he would be two or three hours later than he had expected, bringing my anticipated total time outside to six hours or so. Current status: hungry and kind of have to pee. Luckily my friend lives next to a restaurant owned by a deportee, who came out for a minute. I yelled at him and asked for a cheeseburger. They're out of bread, of course. Just as it was starting to sound so good....but anyway, now he's on his way to find a small child who is used to scaling walls and can go to the roof of this three story apartment building to break in and open the door for me.

Outcome pending...

Update: as I was sitting outside waiting for my friend to get back, a kid maybe thirteen years old or so came by asking if I was the one who needed help. As soon as I said yes, he started climbing the wall. In the time that it took me to even consider that as an "adult" I should tell him to stay put and find someone with a key, he scaled a three-story apartment building like it was nothing, came downstairs and casually opened the door to let me in. My hero! And now the door to the balcony is securely held open with a copy of War and Peace. Lesson learned: Americans are pansies.

No comments:

Post a Comment